KTM Duke 390 Forum banner

81 - 91 of 91 Posts

·
Registered
643 Posts
My two local KTM dealers didn’t want to check the valves.
I checked them myself and they were fine on my bike but it’s strange that dealers in the UK aren’t doing it as part of the first service

·
Registered
17 Posts
So they were competent enough to remove cam cover, check and adjust the four valves, but not enough to hook up to the KTM dealer computer and turn off the service light???? Shame.

It on the step by step ‘first service’ checklist!!
I agree. Should have been obvious to look at that before handing bike back over to me. They had the bike 9:00 am to 1:00 pm. Not really sure how long the whole procedure should or actually did last. I have not been very lucky with dealerships around here. This is the closest one and its an hour away. The dealership I bought the bike from is two hours away. I dealt with them initially for low oil pressure light problem and never had a solid answer on what the problem was. I also bought the bike while KTM had a free Shoei Helmet Promotion going on and it looks like the dealership screwed that up. No one will return my calls about how the paper work was handled and no helmet yet. I bought the bike in May by the way. The next closest dealership is two and half hours away. I hope I wont have to go there.

·
Registered
230 Posts
I agree. Should have been obvious to look at that before handing bike back over to me. They had the bike 9:00 am to 1:00 pm. Not really sure how long the whole procedure should or actually did last. I have not been very lucky with dealerships around here. This is the closest one and its an hour away. The dealership I bought the bike from is two hours away. I dealt with them initially for low oil pressure light problem and never had a solid answer on what the problem was. I also bought the bike while KTM had a free Shoei Helmet Promotion going on and it looks like the dealership screwed that up. No one will return my calls about how the paper work was handled and no helmet yet. I bought the bike in May by the way. The next closest dealership is two and half hours away. I hope I wont have to go there.
Sorry for your luck man. That is not my local KTM experience at all. Maybe send an email to KTM corp. and explain your concerns....that might light a fire under their butts.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Is this a dealership in the U.K. or is it in another country?
Well I was able to ride it in to the dealership (about 75 Miles) and it was taken care of in short order. The dealer told me that there are two areas on the computer that the technician needed to go into to clear it all up and apparently only went into one? Not really sure I understand that but whatever. Rode about another 90 miles on it on way back home and no issues at all. It was actually a great ride both ways as the weather was perfect and a lot of back winding roads on the trip. It was a good day. The kind of trip I was looking for before I ever bought the bike. I am hoping that this all was just a small hiccup and that there will be many more good times to come with this bike!

·
Registered
1 Posts
I just picked up a 2016 with 1000 miles. The previous owner bought it from the original owner but had no idea if the initial service was done. I called my local dealer and they quoted me over $800 for the initial service since the valves had to be checked. This price seems outrageous to me. I have tried to call other dealers but haven’t been successful due to COVID-19.

·
Registered
321 Posts
That is outrageous.
best to get the service manual and go about it yourself. even if it takes a whole weekend or so

·
Registered
539 Posts
That is crazy! I purchased my 2016 with 3k miles and the previous owner didn't do it either. I ended up just doing it myself, it honestly isn't that bad. I changed the coolant for pure engine ice and did the spal fan upgrade all at the same time.

Where are you located?

·
Registered
453 Posts
If the official dealer told you that price you should report the dealer to ktm North America (Ohio or Murietta CA)

Sent from my ASUS_X00HD using Tapatalk

·
Registered
643 Posts
I was told by two KTM dealers that the valve check is no longer necessary at the first service, due to “improved manufacturing”
However, l am now due the second service and can’t get the bike in to a dealer.
I would like to check the valves myself but it looks to be a nightmare to get at.
Once the tank is off, is it fairly straight forward?

81 - 91 of 91 Posts