KTM Duke 390 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Received my new valve shims from AMS and installed them.

The valve job in the frame is a pain, but not nearly as bad as removing the engine from the frame. Took about 3 hours to do. The worst part is getting a feeler gauge into the valves in the tight spaces.

Couldn't quite keep my valves within 2017 tolerances, since the recommended range is 0.04mm, but KTM sells shims in 0.05mm increments, and those seem to be manufactured to +-0.01mm (my 2.35 is 2.36, the 2.30 is 2.31 and the 2.40 is 2.39), anyway, the engine starts and runs smoothly and all the valves are either within 2017 or 2018 tolerances.
IN [0.10, 0.13]
EX[0.14, 0.17]

20201008_174627.jpg 20201008_172902.jpg

Unfortunately, I now have a low oil pressure warning, which is not entirely unexpected given the shape of my oil pressure sensor. I bought a new sensor together with the shims, but sadly it is on back-order and I'm still waiting for it.
For context my oil pressure sensor is rusted through (see picture). When I did the top end job recently I tried to remove the nut, but then I tried to turn it, the core of the sensor spun together with the nut, but the sensor housing stayed static, so I'm afraid I maybe broke it.

20201009_160746.jpg 20201011_161859.jpg

Evidently the best solution is to replace the sensor, but being that I can't find one in stock, is there an easy way to double check whether this is a sensor malfunction or if I accidentally clogged some oil passage,etc. while doing the top end?

I have torque pro with an ELM327 and there are no DTCs, I did a 10 minute idle re-learn and about 8k of riding without the engine seizing, so it's probably not completely un-oiled.
The oil level is pretty much exactly in the middle and I'm using Motorex 15W-50 with a new OEM oil filter and new oil screens.

Thanks

·
Super Moderator
1,235 Posts
Hi m33ple,

In the forum under 2018 Service manual diff valve Clearance you can see that KTM Austria stated all valve clearances can be set to the latest specs.
I never heard of oil pressure sensor issues yet but good to read your report on this.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Received my new valve shims from AMS and installed them.

The valve job in the frame is a pain, but not nearly as bad as removing the engine from the frame. Took about 3 hours to do. The worst part is getting a feeler gauge into the valves in the tight spaces.

Couldn't quite keep my valves within 2017 tolerances, since the recommended range is 0.04mm, but KTM sells shims in 0.05mm increments, and those seem to be manufactured to +-0.01mm (my 2.35 is 2.36, the 2.30 is 2.31 and the 2.40 is 2.39), anyway, the engine starts and runs smoothly and all the valves are either within 2017 or 2018 tolerances.
IN [0.10, 0.13]
EX[0.14, 0.17]

View attachment 52588 View attachment 52589

Unfortunately, I now have a low oil pressure warning, which is not entirely unexpected given the shape of my oil pressure sensor. I bought a new sensor together with the shims, but sadly it is on back-order and I'm still waiting for it.
For context my oil pressure sensor is rusted through (see picture). When I did the top end job recently I tried to remove the nut, but then I tried to turn it, the core of the sensor spun together with the nut, but the sensor housing stayed static, so I'm afraid I maybe broke it.

View attachment 52591 View attachment 52590

Evidently the best solution is to replace the sensor, but being that I can't find one in stock, is there an easy way to double check whether this is a sensor malfunction or if I accidentally clogged some oil passage,etc. while doing the top end?

I have torque pro with an ELM327 and there are no DTCs, I did a 10 minute idle re-learn and about 8k of riding without the engine seizing, so it's probably not completely un-oiled.
The oil level is pretty much exactly in the middle and I'm using Motorex 15W-50 with a new OEM oil filter and new oil screens.

Thanks
Is this something that one can do yourself? I have good knowledge of engines and worked a lot on them but have never tried KTM shims. I'd like to check my 390's shims.... I see your bike already did over 29K km... any other issues apart from shims you had so far?? Regards!

·
Registered
36 Posts
oh dear,what i can tell you is that low oil pressure is due to expired oil pressure sensor.i am pretty sure it ll be fixed once you replace it.i know cause i had the same problem.
once again i would like to tell everyone on the forum that,duke 390 has two fixed issues.
1 - low oil pressure - replace oil pressure sensor
2 - water mixing oil - change water pump seals and water pump gasget
also there is a minor issue,2-3mg oil might leak through oil filter cap,you have to change oil filter o ring every 5 oil change.good luck drive safe

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks @atinc, I hope you're right... since the warning started right after I did a top end job I figure either I broke the sensor or I broke something else. I hope the sensor since that's easy to replace.

@JWC, it's not too hard, the only annoying bit is how tight the spaces are with the engine still in the frame. I did this after a top-end job, which I ended up doing while "debugging" coolant in my oil, but probably wasn't necessary, so I guess i did it for fun?? :Do_O
I bought the bike with about 28K km on it, so no idea on long term reliability.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts