KTM Duke 390 Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Apart from the nasty cheap Chinese items I don't seem to be able to find a Wavy front disc for the 2nd gen? Saw a you tube clip of moto mirius popping a Galfer item on his duke but Galfer don't list one for it!! Any ideas?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Apart from the nasty cheap Chinese items I don't seem to be able to find a Wavy front disc for the 2nd gen? Saw a you tube clip of moto mirius popping a Galfer item on his duke but Galfer don't list one for it!! Any ideas?
Considering you're from USA. Here is the link:

I'm from India and the prices are very high as per our currency. I've been riding KTM 390's (both RC and Duke) from 2014 and the performance isn't bad where I felt stopping the bike is an issue.

At such price galfer would hardly be giving some % of additional braking.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
466 Posts
Technically the front disk on my bike is for the gen 1 model but it still fits perfectly well but as noted above they do disks for the gen 2. Their website isn’t the most user friendly though.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Technically the front disk on my bike is for the gen 1 model but it still fits perfectly well but as noted above they do disks for the gen 2. Their website isn’t the most user friendly though.
**** you are on this forums? Love the short exhaust you did on D390 man. Wish I could get the same for my bike.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ahhhhhh.......... Reason being I have been offered a brand new Galfer for the previous gen for less than £100! Perhaps I'll snap it up!! ;)

·
Super Moderator
1,084 Posts
If looking for another alternative please have a look at Bike – Moto Master Product Finder
These guys have been at the top of the brake rotor motor cross scene for many years.
I do not know the price comparison with Galfner though.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Powerparts wave disc just recently added to my 2017. After some use, great feeling at the lever and better stopping power imo...
Unfortunately very expensive in India.
Which oil are you using for brake fluid?
That can help too.

·
Super Moderator
1,084 Posts
Unless you are a really rough rider or racing your bike any DOT4 brake fluid will do.
To my knowledge, there is no or very very little difference in quality in brake fluid brands.
What can improve a lot is to bleed both systems (front/rear) thoroughly.

That can help too.

·
Registered
466 Posts
**** you are on this forums? Love the short exhaust you did on D390 man. Wish I could get the same for my bike.

Thanks. It’s still one of my favourite exhaust mods.

My favourite disc is the Moto master flame as linked by KTM M above which I have on another bike but I’ve yet to need the additional cooling capacity on the 390 in a street application over the Galfer wave which I picked up for a good price.

·
Premium Member
123 Posts
That can help too.

Am guessing they used motorex as it was done by my local KTM dealer at service.

Someone mentioned the need for the disc unless you are racing. I agree, there is bugger all wrong with the stock part. It just looks good 😁.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Thanks. It’s still one of my favourite exhaust mods.

My favourite disc is the Moto master flame as linked by KTM M above which I have on another bike but I’ve yet to need the additional cooling capacity on the 390 in a street application over the Galfer wave which I picked up for a good price.
Are you also using Dot5.1 brake fluid?
Like LiquiMoly has 5.1 already in market.

What's your thought on it?

·
Super Moderator
1,084 Posts
WARNING WARNING WARNING:

DO NOT use DOT5, either use DOT$ or DOT5.1

DOT5 is synthetic and not compatible with DOT4 or DOT5.1

DOT5.1 has been available for years now.

DOT 5 is a silicone-based fluid and is separate from the series of DOT 2, 3, 4, 5.1. It is immiscible with water, and with other brake fluids, and must not be mixed with them. Systems can change fluid only after a complete system changeover, such as a total restoration.
DOT 5 brake fluid is not compatible with anti-lock braking systems. DOT 5 fluid can aerate when the anti-lock brake system is activated. DOT 5 brake fluid absorbs a small amount of air requiring care when bleeding the system of air.

Please be careful of what you post and potentially put riders in danger.

Are you also using Dot5 brake fluid?

·
Registered
27 Posts
WARNING WARNING WARNING:

DO NOT use DOT5, either use DOT$ or DOT5.1

DOT5 is synthetic and not compatible with DOT4 or DOT5.1

DOT5.1 has been available for years now.

DOT 5 is a silicone-based fluid and is separate from the series of DOT 2, 3, 4, 5.1. It is immiscible with water, and with other brake fluids, and must not be mixed with them. Systems can change fluid only after a complete system changeover, such as a total restoration.
DOT 5 brake fluid is not compatible with anti-lock braking systems. DOT 5 fluid can aerate when the anti-lock brake system is activated. DOT 5 brake fluid absorbs a small amount of air requiring care when bleeding the system of air.

Please be careful of what you post and potentially put riders in danger.
I meant 5.1 as written in second line.

Corrected it now.

·
Registered
341 Posts
I find it surprising that people do not notice that the stock fitted front brake disc is a rigid mount, while the Galfer/Ktm powerpart is a floating disc.

·
Registered
466 Posts
Are you also using Dot5.1 brake fluid?

I haven’t yet changed the fluid from stock. Unless you are doing some pretty extreme riding I see no advantage in anything other than a basic fluid.

·
Super Moderator
1,084 Posts
True so Marius,

Yet it is advised (especially in our tropics where air humidity is close to 90 per cent at times) to renew the fluid at least 1x per 2 years.
And obviously DOT4 does just fine of us road riders.
What I wanted to underline after the exploded post is to never put DOT5 into your Duke/RC OEM braking system.

I haven’t yet changed the fluid from stock. Unless you are doing some pretty extreme riding I see no advantage in anything other than a basic fluid.

·
Registered
466 Posts
True so Marius,

Yet it is advised (especially in our tropics where air humidity is close to 90 per cent at times) to renew the fluid at least 1x per 2 years.
And obviously DOT4 does just fine of us road riders.
What I wanted to underline after the exploded post is to never put DOT5 into your Duke/RC OEM braking system.
Indeed. Dot 5 requires a change of all seals, assuming you can find appropriate ones.
Technically mine is overdue for fluid change so it’s time for a change.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts