KTM Duke 390 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Replace front blinkers with these $15 running light/blinker strips. Really like them, had two on each tube but was too bright so removed one. They work like cars l
IMG_1864.JPG
IMG_1867.JPG
eds running white until blinker turns amber from inside to outside while the other one stays white as in 1st pic. Works great when not running, switch cancels perfectly but when motor is running and you turn one on it works fine untill you try to cancel. Won't cancel by moving switch to middle or pushing, when pushed all the way to other side all white stop and the blinkers begin alternating, only way to stop is turn motor off. Works fine on restart and 1st use, prob begins when try to cancel.

·
Registered
392 Posts
Looks good. I wanted to add the LED stripes to my bike and I thought about the front of the tank covers. But I definite like your position of the LEDs.

About the problem: Make sure you use some capacitors to filter the power lines and the signal lines. When the engine is running there is a lot of "noise" in the electric system.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Don't you mean resistors or do you have a source for whatever is needed? The last time I saw either I was working on F111's in the 70's but I think you are correct about "noise" in electrical system when running, the wires are very tiny and strips have some kind of circuitry. The installation seems simple, splice the blinker hot wire(s) and ground(s) and tap into running light hot wire for the white running lights. Originally I had just solid yellow strips that worked perfect at alll times, but they didn't stick well and I found these with bright running lights built-in that have a tie wrap made into them so they stay on properly. Somehow the strips "know " when activated to turn on one blinker and leave the other running light on. It may be easier to separate the two circuits by disconnecting the blinker wires and using a separate set of strips,I like your idea of mounting the blinker strips on front of tank cover up high and keep the running light low on the tubes.. Will report as the running lights really help being seen by cagers. BTW the refectors can be whacked off w/ plastic mallet and glue removed with brake cleaner, they are just glued on and removing them won't leave a scar. Here's the Amazon link for the strips:

·
Registered
392 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
PROBLEM SOLVED- I just cut the hot wire to running lights and connected it to a separate set of strips lower on the tubes. Really helps oncoming traffic to spot you sooner, lots of BMW Adv bikes come through here, the ones w/ lower running lights I notice sooner than just headlight. First pic only running lights, 2nd w/ blinker on. First pic is just on

Attachments

1 - 5 of 5 Posts