KTM Duke 390 Forum banner

661 - 680 of 737 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Nice Brembo, but why on the bottom?

the reason is, for visual, i asked some of people that i know before deciding to made the adapter, and they wanted that the brembo itself to be visible (even after you use an aftermarket exhaust/side exhaust), there's some privilege/pride using 'brembo' in my country...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
441 Posts
I’ve heard some engineers suggest that bottom is best because it puts the brake mounts into tension under braking, giving a more solid result. Not sure how much that really matters with a rear brake

Bottom mounted rear brakes can be a liability in winter because all the water, grit and salt drips down into it and bakes on with the heat causing corrosion and seizing.

But looks are important too, especially if you are looking to sell mounting kits.

·
Premium Member
11 Posts
Hello everyone, new to KTM owner from Formby near Liverpool, United Kingdom.

After 14 years of owning and loving BMW R1200s in one guise or another, currently a R1200GS LC, my age (68) and advancing decrepitness meant I was finding rolling out such a lump for local and short trips was becoming a real pain. I therefore decided I needed a second, lighter bike and narrowed the choice to two: the BMW G310R and the KTM Duke 390, and organised test rides of both. For me, there is no doubt that the G310R is a fine bike but it did nothing for me, whereas the Duke 390 put a grin on my face from the outset. I’m now the proud owner of a new white Duke 390 which I collected mid April, and which now has just over 1000 miles on the clock, with many more to come I hope.

I’ve read the messages regarding the need to accumulate a number of messages before being able to post to other sections of the forum, so expect to see a few more on unrelated topics here.

·
Registered
21 Posts
nice info... i didn't even know before...

right now, i have no plan to sell this mounting kit, it's just for fun...

except for front, i'm selling it, but not much...

I’ve heard some engineers suggest that bottom is best because it puts the brake mounts into tension under braking, giving a more solid result. Not sure how much that really matters with a rear brake

Bottom mounted rear brakes can be a liability in winter because all the water, grit and salt drips down into it and bakes on with the heat causing corrosion and seizing.

But looks are important too, especially if you are looking to sell mounting kits.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Hello everyone, new to KTM owner from Formby near Liverpool, United Kingdom.

After 14 years of owning and loving BMW R1200s in one guise or another, currently a R1200GS LC, my age (68) and advancing decrepitness meant I was finding rolling out such a lump for local and short trips was becoming a real pain. I therefore decided I needed a second, lighter bike and narrowed the choice to two: the BMW G310R and the KTM Duke 390, and organised test rides of both. For me, there is no doubt that the G310R is a fine bike but it did nothing for me, whereas the Duke 390 put a grin on my face from the outset. I’m now the proud owner of a new white Duke 390 which I collected mid April, and which now has just over 1000 miles on the clock, with many more to come I hope.

I’ve read the messages regarding the need to accumulate a number of messages before being able to post to other sections of the forum, so expect to see a few more on unrelated topics here.

Welcome Grumps! Traded my ‘06 Harley Softtail for a Duke. So much more fun to ride!

·
Registered
26 Posts
The Duke had to go

:crying: After having the Duke for over a year i happened to find the bike i was dreaming of when teenager in mid 70:s. 1971 Honda CB450 Twin. Cannot have both so the Duke found a good home in southern Swedish city Malmö. Enjoyed the experience with the Duke, the low weight and nimbleness.
The Honda is in excellent shape but needs some modernisation, want to change the breaker points and condensations to electronic ignition, new coils and stuff like that. No visual changes though.
Thanks for all help i got from this forum, will advise the new owner of this site also.
///TRS

Attachments

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi from Saskatchewan to everyone. 2017 390 Duke. I have been riding bikes most of my life. My last two bikes were a KLR650 and a Vstrom 1000. In the last ten years. Our provincial insurance rates on larger bikes have increased dramatically. I had an opportunity so I sold the Vee. Last summer I really missed having a bike. So I started looking for smaller used dual purpose bike for a summer toy. I looked at at all the typical Japanese options before I settled on a new Duke. It seemed like such a good bang for my buck. They had 0.9% financing to boot. I love my little Duke. It is so much fun.

I am now nearing the 5000km mark and have almost worn the rear tire where am not as comfortable to ride on it as I would like to be. I live in a rural location and have thousands of miles of back roads to explore. I am going to start making the Duke into a mini ADV or Scrambler style bike. I am really interested in putting Shinko 705’s on it. I can only find a 120/70R17 front and either a 170/60R17 or a 150/70R17 rear. Has anyone else used either of these on their Duke? How did they fit? Would you recommend?

I am interested to read all your posts and see where everyone is from and find out what you all have done to your bikes.

Take care and ride safe everyone??

·
Super Moderator
1,046 Posts
I ride a fair bit of dust/off-road in Laos.
Had a set of Pirelli MT60 for 2 years great on-road (and in the wet) and wonderful on dry dust/gravel roads, not so much in mud or wet off-road surfaces.
Looking to get a new set of Pirelli Scorpion Rally STR's next.
No experience with the mentioned Shinko's though, sorry.

Hi from Saskatchewan to everyone. 2017 390 Duke. I have been riding bikes most of my life. My last two bikes were a KLR650 and a Vstrom 1000. In the last ten years. Our provincial insurance rates on larger bikes have increased dramatically. I had an opportunity so I sold the Vee. Last summer I really missed having a bike. So I started looking for smaller used dual purpose bike for a summer toy. I looked at at all the typical Japanese options before I settled on a new Duke. It seemed like such a good bang for my buck. They had 0.9% financing to boot. I love my little Duke. It is so much fun.

I am now nearing the 5000km mark and have almost worn the rear tire where am not as comfortable to ride on it as I would like to be. I live in a rural location and have thousands of miles of back roads to explore. I am going to start making the Duke into a mini ADV or Scrambler style bike. I am really interested in putting Shinko 705’s on it. I can only find a 120/70R17 front and either a 170/60R17 or a 150/70R17 rear. Has anyone else used either of these on their Duke? How did they fit? Would you recommend?

I am interested to read all your posts and see where everyone is from and find out what you all have done to your bikes.

Take care and ride safe everyone??

661 - 680 of 737 Posts