KTM Duke 390 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am thinking about buying this set of fork internals... please correct me if this is not the right set for a 2020 Duke 390

My local suspension guy sends me this quote when I asked about him buying them and fitting them for me.... this seems a tad strange and expensive to me?

So to remove and refit the forks is $55 fair enough. But then to service a new set of internals, modify and revalve them...why?? arent they brand new fitted to my weight and spring rate already?

forks.jpg

·
Registered
46 Posts
Like I said before, take a look inside your existing forks. My 17 model had non-cartridge forks and this kit would not have fitted.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Kermit can you send me a link of the kit that would work if possible? I'm beginning to MIS-trust these suspension guys more and more and this is becoming an exersize into a dark hole of endless money

edit, this was the kit he told me would suit my model

·
Registered
46 Posts
Looking into it it seems the Andreani kit may well fit. Look for Big_Mac posts. However, there is no way I can say for sure.

I'm a couple of kilos heavier than you, an ex national grade road racer but rather old. However I still like to hussle the Duke though the twisties. I have a V4 Aprilia for the faster stuff. Like you I thought the shock and spring setup was a joke and this was duly replaced. The front I thought was not too bad. Historically I've liked soft fronts on my bikes, I like the sharper geometry change under trail braking. I had some replacement front springs sent over from the states but they were completely the wrong size (ID and length). In the end I added 5mm extra preload to the stock springs and left it at that. I didn't even change the oil viscosity.

The Andreani kit is go to for people racing the RC390 but for me it seems very expensive for what may not be a huge improvement. YMMV.

One of the best mods was to lengthen the gearing. I replaced the rear 45 with a 42, standard on the Duke 200. The engine is strong enough to pull though the longer gaps in the gearing and it gives a wider speed range in the middle gears. 6th becomes a bit of an overdrive but who cares?

Good luck with the bike. I love mine.

·
Registered
441 Posts
That dude is high in more ways than one.
the fork kit with springs is 550$ USD shipped. Unsure of the conversion to AUD.
Using any oil in your fork that is not Ohlins shows he is lacking.
andreani recommends Ohlins oil as well

·
Super Moderator
1,506 Posts
According to the Andreani website, they produce the 105/KT2E kit for the first generation Dukes (complete kit and if giving them your riders weight they will fit the kit with the correct springs) and a 105/KT7E kit for the second generation Dukes up to and including 2019. Again a complete kit without any additional valves, rings or whatever.
Oil recommended by Andreani is Öhlins 01309
Both kits cost Euro 529 ex TAX.
If you are not sure if the 2019 kit fits your 2020 bike I would definitely not buy any kit over the bays.
First of all Andreani does not include 2020 in their 105/KT7E listing (which I assume means it will not fit or work as intended) and secondly order at a reputable Andreani re-seller to make sure you will get the correct springs to your riders weight.
Then there is always the option to drop Andreani an email asking for a kit for the 2020/2021 Dukes.
i[email protected]

·
Registered
43 Posts
I think the guy is trying to take advantage. Had the only authorized US distributor Fast Bike Industries install the Andreani's, $ 600 kit+ 200 labor+ tax. That plus the Olins rear shock make huge difference.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts