KTM Duke 390 Forum banner

2141 - 2160 of 2171 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
whats up every1, ordered a new tail tidy thingy, new mirrors cuz the originals kinda look annoying and im thinkin of ordering those led circle lights i think that would look cool on the duke 390 but dont know of that will work

·
Registered
27 Posts
Installed a Vagabond tail tidy. Nice little adventure that was. First off, one of the factory installed screws in the stock stinger were cross-threaded. Luckily, I had a tap on hand to fix the buggered threads. Next, the standoffs were slightly long so the bottom plate was about 1/8" proud. Filed them down a bit and plate fits nice and flush. Overall, nice piece, fairly easy install, look waaaaaay better without the foot long stinger poking out back.
So far she has:
EP Exhaust hanger and reg cover (very nice)
Better footpegs
Renthal full diamond soft grips
Removed all decals except tail decal.
Vagabond tail tidy

Things it will get in between working on other bikes:
Better looking mirrors
Exhaust
Lower bars
Better levers

Possible full color change to something non-KTM

·
Registered
6 Posts
Mirrors, the stock ones = ugly and useless.

Was in a shop that carries the Huskies, in the case were some " Husqvarna" brand bar end mirrors for the svartpilen, no monkeying around to install as it uses the M6 bolt on which is compatible with the bar end plugs on the 390 duke ( those **** things beat me, it just wasnt worth any more effort to extract them,

The Husky mirrors came with a set of bar plug inserts ( unused by me) and the mirror which can be flipped L to R via 5 small allen bolts.

I tossed the bar end weights. No noticeable change in vibration.

The good
  • they look great in my opinion
  • mirror optics very clear
  • easy install
  • rear visibility has been dramatically improved and blind spots pretty much gone, only about 20% of the mirror is occupied by elbow with a bulky padded elbow jacket on.
-the helmet sits on them much better
- opens up the two old mirror mounting points for some accessories if needed ( M10 I beleive)

The bad
  • a bit pricy
  • mirror ends possibly susceptible to damage if tippled over

Pillion Rack

I have been finding the Duke has a lack of good bungie hoop mounting points and not a lot of real estate to plant stuff on the rear seat.

KTM Powersport pillion rack ordered

Install time about 5 minutes basic pre assembly in the living room, about 5 minutes at the bike.

its small and unobtrusive, built more for looks than function but it does seem to work.

The good
  • four quick releases and the top half can pop off with what ever you have bungied on
  • gives places to hook bungie cords
  • it looks good
  • much easier to strap small items to the duker

The bad
  • over priced
  • heavier than expected
  • oddball shape that looks good is less than fully practical
  • stated " 5kg" load limit
  • theft potential if someone figured out the four removable fasteners
  • size limit, one bulky leather jacket

Plans
- add some velcro to top of rack with some on the bottom of my samsonite briefcase
-drill a hole on to padlock top plate to side mounts
  • half hitch up some cord for better bungie hook attaching
  • might see about bolting on some extension plate/s towards the tail

Attachments

·
Registered
2 Posts
I Just wanted to share my blog. ( duke125r.wixsite.com/home )
Still waiting for some parts to show up. This summer went down so quickly but hopefully will finish her before spring. Also brexit and Covid stuff is putting things on hold. But let's hope for best.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Pillion Rack

I have been finding the Duke has a lack of good bungie hoop mounting points and not a lot of real estate to plant stuff on the rear seat.

KTM Powersport pillion rack ordered

Install time about 5 minutes basic pre assembly in the living room, about 5 minutes at the bike.

its small and unobtrusive, built more for looks than function but it does seem to work.

The good
  • four quick releases and the top half can pop off with what ever you have bungied on
  • gives places to hook bungie cords
  • it looks good
  • much easier to strap small items to the duker
The bad
  • over priced
  • heavier than expected
  • oddball shape that looks good is less than fully practical
  • stated " 5kg" load limit
  • theft potential if someone figured out the four removable fasteners
  • size limit, one bulky leather jacket
Plans
- add some velcro to top of rack with some on the bottom of my samsonite briefcase
-drill a hole on to padlock top plate to side mounts
  • half hitch up some cord for better bungie hook attaching
  • might see about bolting on some extension plate/s towards the tail
Nice looking rack, I like. Wishing there was something that extended the rack over the end of the tail light a bit for more luggage space though. Any pics of the mounting brackets with the rack off?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Will redo some photos and repost tonight or tomorrow.

I've been thinking a couple pieces of 1/4 x 2" aluminum strap could easily bolt on to the top and extend out, only problem might be that extra cantilevered leverage amplifying any weight to the mounting points.

·
Registered
12 Posts

I made the underseat plastic protoype to install the race seat foam. It makes the seat so much narrower and I really like the overall look when its on. You can see more from blog: Building the race seat prototype . Also try to make photo today with the foam and the part installed on bike. I really like the design with this installed. Also will make graphics to match the tank and rear seat cover. Stay tuned!

·
Registered
113 Posts
View attachment 52542
I made the underseat plastic protoype to install the race seat foam. It makes the seat so much narrower and I really like the overall look when its on. You can see more from blog: Building the race seat prototype . Also try to make photo today with the foam and the part installed on bike. I really like the design with this installed. Also will make graphics to match the tank and rear seat cover. Stay tuned!
That looks really neat on the bike and with the seat pad installed.

·
Registered
12 Posts
That looks really neat on the bike and with the seat pad installed.
Thanks! I'm also loving it. The seat is so narrow and I even love the firmness when you ride it. Also the foam do not slip, so my hands are more relaxed during braking.

For those who wonder why I still have passenger footrest on - I want this to be also a street bike, so I could just swap seats and take it for ride to work with girlfriend etc. So its not pure racing machine, more like fun little bike to enjoy on kart tracks on weekends or just to commute in city.

Next I will change some other parts to aftermarket ones, so if someone is interesting in the project, you can follow me on IG @Duke125R or check the blog from time to time. I really love the little dukes.

2141 - 2160 of 2171 Posts