KTM Duke 390 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This should actually be a poll but I do not know if it is possible here??

How many km / miles have you done on your 390? Any issues?

Mine is 6 months old and has 4800km on the clock and no issues so far...

·
Registered
516 Posts
18 months old, 2,000 miles. Bike is currently waiting on me to get it to the dealer so they can tell me why it died and won't start.

Edit: that's about 3,200 km.

·
Registered
42 Posts
2018 NOS 1 week 188km's. A loose connector on the fuel injector left me on the side of the road. Dealer found and corrected the issue, now at 345 km

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'm asking this because I visited a dealer yesterday and got the impression that the 390 is not such a reliable bike.... cam tensioner & cam chain issues are mentioned even on the 2018 models. It was suggested that the motors do not have a long life and 20K km is the "selling" mark. I found this a little worrying as these are "expensive" bikes. I have friends with Honda XR 125's that has done 60K+ km and still going strong. The explanation given for the issues with the 390 was that it is not made in Austria as the SuperDuke R hence the lack of good quality...

What do you make of this? (I'm new to KTM)

·
Registered
119 Posts
There are plenty of failure reports on the rc390 forums but those guys race those bikes hard. The first thing to fail with track use is usually the head gasket. Otherwise, some overheating issues.

Haven't heard anything about the cam tensioner and cam chain.

From what I know, those KTMs are less reliable than Japanese budget bikes (Ninja 300/400, Yamaha R3) but that's more of a testament to the competition's quality, rather than the lack of quality of the KTMs. Ninjas especially are known to be hard to kill, even with track use.

On the flip side, those Japanese bikes are all mellow and tame compared to a Duke. I've ridden them all, Duke 390 feels fast and fun compared to the others - that's coming from a guy who traded in a GSX-R 750 for one.

For me, the Duke is a second bike - a toy. I'm fine with it breaking (if it ever does, no problems yet) since I have a reliable Japanese main bike. If I were to only have one motorcycle, I'd probably go for something else.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Hello,

Mine is counting 5 years and ~22k. So far, front suspension seals, had to be replaced with approx 17k, and the muffler bracket near to the rear shock that broke apart a few weeks ago.

Seal wear is OK I guess. The bracket rupture no so much, but it's not a deal breaker, I'd say.

RM

·
Registered
19 Posts
Six months and about 4000 kms. No issues.

Ktm dukes are motorcycles for seasoned motorcyclists, who know they are buying a model whose goal is driving pleasure. They are bikes with a configuration very close to a racing motorcycle. Yes, you have to have the courage to have a ktm duke, if not, buy a Japanese and be happy for long and boring kilometers.

And if anyone believes Duke has a lot of problems, I ask them to find out about dirty bikes. I have two dirty bikes and ride often. I have several friends who have YZ450, Husqvarna 300 2stroke, 450, CRF, Beta, ... here in the middle the wear of the bikes yes is huge. We spend a lot of money on these bikes, but we do it for the pleasure of accelerating the best bikes in the class.
Having a duke has to do with the smile on your face. If you don't understand or what I said doesn't make sense, forget it, you'll never understand.

See you guys and excuse me for my poor English.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts