KTM Duke 390 Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got my license and already put almost 100 km on my bike on the first day so my fuel level dropped a fair bit.

I thought it took regular gas but after looking in the manual it says it needs "super unleaded", does this mean it needs the higher octane fuel?

It also says to not use fuel with more than 10% ethanol, isn't 15% standard here (I'm in Quebec Canada)?

Thanks

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I'd really like an answer ASAP because at this rate I will need gas today and don't want to cause any damage.

Thanks

·
Registered
35 Posts
I just got my license and already put almost 100 km on my bike on the first day so my fuel level dropped a fair bit.

I thought it took regular gas but after looking in the manual it says it needs "super unleaded", does this mean it needs the higher octane fuel?

It also says to not use fuel with more than 10% ethanol, isn't 15% standard here (I'm in Quebec Canada)?

Thanks
My research shows that Canada has some sort of mandate to limit the Ethanol content to 10%, although recently Ontario announced they would start moving to E15 (A Canadian’s perspective on climate change & E15 in Ontario - MNFuels). The odd thing is with some States and some provinces announcing moves to E15, when, as I understand, NO motorcycle manufacturers has OK'd the use of E15 in their motorcycles. This is an old article (2013), but at the time, Chrysler didn't support E15 in their vehicles Supreme Court Won't Reverse EPA E15 Ethanol Rules . Here's a recent article that shows the appeal got the E15 rule thrown out: Federal Appeals Court Rules EPA Lacked Authority to Grant Waiver to E15. My opinion is that E15 cannot replace E10.

By the way, if you go to www.pure-gas.org, you can look up gas stations that sell ethanol free fuel. By the way, the ethanol level should be stated on the pump. I don't know if there's a law about this, but there should be.

Short answer, put 91 in the bike.

·
Registered
45 Posts
My research shows that Canada has some sort of mandate to limit the Ethanol content to 10%, although recently Ontario announced they would start moving to E15 (A Canadian’s perspective on climate change & E15 in Ontario - MNFuels). The odd thing is with some States and some provinces announcing moves to E15, when, as I understand, NO motorcycle manufacturers has OK'd the use of E15 in their motorcycles. This is an old article (2013), but at the time, Chrysler didn't support E15 in their vehicles Supreme Court Won't Reverse EPA E15 Ethanol Rules . Here's a recent article that shows the appeal got the E15 rule thrown out: Federal Appeals Court Rules EPA Lacked Authority to Grant Waiver to E15. My opinion is that E15 cannot replace E10.

By the way, if you go to www.pure-gas.org, you can look up gas stations that sell ethanol free fuel. By the way, the ethanol level should be stated on the pump. I don't know if there's a law about this, but there should be.

Short answer, put 91 in the bike.
91 octane in the US

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks, I've already filled it twice in 3 days with 91 octane lol. I didn't realize how often I'd have to fill up but I've done an average of over 100 km/day for my first 3 days (339 km) and a full tank seems to do about 300 km according to the bike's computer but I haven't checked if that's accurate yet, but I love how it shows "miles to empty" (it's shown as "Fuel range" on the bike) like high end cars do, my bike is infinitely more high tech than my car lol.

BTW is it common for bikes to use 91 octane or is this bike special? I didn't expect motorcycles, especially with a small engine like this, to need 91 octane.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Thanks, I've already filled it twice in 3 days with 91 octane lol. I didn't realize how often I'd have to fill up but I've done an average of over 100 km/day for my first 3 days (339 km) and a full tank seems to do about 300 km according to the bike's computer but I haven't checked if that's accurate yet, but I love how it shows "miles to empty" (it's shown as "Fuel range" on the bike) like high end cars do, my bike is infinitely more high tech than my car lol.

BTW is it common for bikes to use 91 octane or is this bike special? I didn't expect motorcycles, especially with a small engine like this, to need 91 octane.
Most bikes do come with such readings and highly detailed information clusters nowadays.
About the octane rating, It has more to do with the compression ratio than the size of the engine.KTM's 390 engine has pretty high compression ratio (higher than some much powerful big bikes. and same as Suzuki Hayabusa). Octane rating can be understood as the resistance to self detonate under compression. The higher the octane, the less likely chances of it detonating under higher compression.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Most bikes do come with such readings and highly detailed information clusters nowadays.
About the octane rating, It has more to do with the compression ratio than the size of the engine.KTM's 390 engine has pretty high compression ratio (higher than some much powerful big bikes. and same as Suzuki Hayabusa). Octane rating can be understood as the resistance to self detonate under compression. The higher the octane, the less likely chances of it detonating under higher compression.
Thanks for the info, but what about how common it is for bikes to need 91 octane? Do 90% of bikes need 91 octane or more like 10%?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hi
I understand why you ask the question , in Quebec super is about .25 cents a liter more . Rediculous!

step 1 : check manual --KTM recommends super unleaded . KTM has the manual free for everyone to download, page 104 .

Either way , the bike sips fuel at 3.9 l per 100km on average for me. It's like oil , don't put cheap oil in a bike you want to last. ...same goes for air filter.

If you really want to save money, try regular gas and see how she feels. 1 tank once in a while can't hurt. Never know.

The Duke has a small gas tank compared to most bikes , so stops at the pump will be frequent.

As for your question, yes I believe unless manual specifies regular gas, you should put super in any high reving engine, especially a high performance single cylinder .
I will put 93 octane if available.

IMHO
cheers

1 - 10 of 10 Posts