KTM Duke 390 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a check engine light on my 2017 ktm duke 390 (my first bike, bought this spring) and need to pull the error code. Unless there is some other way to pull the code (e.g., flashing lights, tft display, etc), I need to get my hands on a combination of adapter cable, OBD reader, and OBD software that will actually read the CAN BUS protocol the bike uses. I’ve searched the forum but really can’t find a good answer, maybe I’m missing something. So far I’ve had no luck with the ones I’ve tried.

I bought a K-line/CANBUS to OBD adapter cable that is supposed to be compatible with our bikes (Amazon.com: OTKEFDI Motorcycle 6 Pin OBD Diagnostic Cable for KTM Kline and Canbus Motorbike: Automotive) and have tried it with my old Memoscan U381 that I use for car maintenance but it apparently can’t read some CANBUS protocols.

Then I bought a Veepeak OBDcheck BLE Bluetooth reader (iOS version: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B073XKQQQW/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_zaBwFbQ28FQEQ) and tried that with the iOS apps OBDfusion and Carscanner but still no success. The reader turns on and the apps connect to the reader but can’t connect to the ECU after scanning through protocols

So my question is what combination of adapter cable, reader, and software have people had success with on the second gen duke 390s (2017+)?

iOS is best for me but if you’ve had success with android or a PC, that would be helpful too in case others end up scouring the forum for the same info.

Thanks for the help!

Bonus question: does anyone know what OBD/CANBUS protocol our dukes use?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hey! Yeah I did dig through the menu to see if there was a place for info related to the check engine light but I couldn’t find anything. Is there something I missed?

The closest I found was, I believe, in the info submenu where there is a ‘Warnings‘ section. But this appears to only relate to warnings that show up on the TFT display itself. An example of this is the warning that shows up on the display when you have the side stand down also shows up in this menu.

·
Registered
369 Posts
I published details in this forum, maybe more than a year ago. I guess you should be able to find them when you search. Sorry, I don't remember any details how to search for it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks. I’m glad to hear you were able to get it to work.

Is this the post?

What software did you use to connect to your reader? On android, iOS, PC?

·
Registered
369 Posts
Thanks. I’m glad to hear you were able to get it to work.

Is this the post?

What software did you use to connect to your reader? On android, iOS, PC?
Yes, that's it.
I use Torque App on Android.
I use that application mostly to get real time information from the bike. The app has also error code functionality but I never used it, I never had an error.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the help. I got it working tonight and it turned out to be a motorcycle newb mistake but I thought I’d post in case anyone else comes across this same problem.

The issue was that I had the key in the on position but not the engine kill switch. With the key in the on position the reader gets power but I guess the ECU does not. Once I turned on the engine kill switch the Veepeak reader connected and multiple appworked (OBD fusion and autodoctor). Anybody using a reader to look at engine performance of course wouldn’t have this issue because they’d have the engine running at the time.

My old style memoscan code reader still did not work. I guess it doesn’t have the right protocols.

Also since I found it helpful, here is a link to some ktm engine fault codes I found on this forum: Engine management light

·
Registered
369 Posts
Thanks for the help. I got it working tonight and it turned out to be a motorcycle newb mistake but I thought I’d post in case anyone else comes across this same problem.

The issue was that I had the key in the on position but not the engine kill switch. With the key in the on position the reader gets power but I guess the ECU does not. Once I turned on the engine kill switch the Veepeak reader connected and multiple appworked (OBD fusion and autodoctor). Anybody using a reader to look at engine performance of course wouldn’t have this issue because they’d have the engine running at the time.

My old style memoscan code reader still did not work. I guess it doesn’t have the right protocols.

Also since I found it helpful, here is a link to some ktm engine fault codes I found on this forum: Engine management light
Thanks for the update.
There is another issue which you and others might find interesting.
I don't remember this 100% but like this: I think the OBD signal (or maybe the CAN-Bus) stops working (or supplying some information) 30 seconds after the bike is off.
Some time ago I played with OBD and with the CAN-Bus (transport protocol for ODB). I could see lots of data and then suddenly not anymore. I think it was after the engine was switched off for 30 seconds or after the kill switch, something like that.
Summary: If you don't see what you think you should see make sure the kill switch is not engaged and maybe have the engine running or just switched off.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts