KTM Duke 390 Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently decided to look in to getting a fun light commuter motorcycle. Something to ride to work six months of the year that's also fun in the city or on twisties but can still manage the freeway even if it's not that comfy there.

In my search I've decided the Duke 390 is by far the bike I want. Trouble is they aren't going to be available until Fall in Canada.

So I'm thinking about getting something in the mean time to fill the gap. It has to be 400cc or under and basically tick as many of those boxes as it can while also having good resale value. I would consider up to 750cc as well since it will only be for one season, especially if it was really high resale. I would rather it be under 450 lbs though.

Currently the front runner (by a wide margin) is a used Suzuki DRZ 400 SM in the 2006-2009 range. I think buying used is the only way to go otherwise I'll eat too much loss in the tax/pdi/etc.

Any other bikes anyone can think of to fill the gap?

KLX650?
GW250?
Others?

·
Registered
209 Posts
DRZ! !!! The power to weight ratio is close to duke's so it will be a kind of training. The only thing I don't like about it is the seat height but that's not a deal breaker. DRZ has also a good resale value so is a safe choice.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Are you planning on selling this bike or trading it in when you get the Duke 390, or are you planning on keeping it?

If you plan on selling it I would be careful to choose a bike that tends to have high resale value.

·
Registered
532 Posts
Duals are great fun! I'm in the same boat bud, I'm actually looking at picking up an old 80's standard to muck about with. Something to tear into, fiddle with, maybe chop and screw eventually... Figure I can pick up something usable for under a couple grand...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts