KTM Duke 390 Forum banner

When to fit new tyres?

2K views 10 replies 4 participants last post by  Hedgepig 
#1 ·
Got a pair of fresh M7RRs, in a box in the shed.
Cant see that I'm going to be going anywhere anytime soon on the bike. Fit them now - or leave them hibernating until the time is right?

#3 ·
Can you lift your bike on stands so that the tyres aren't touching the ground? Is the bike garaged? Can you fit the tyres now conveniently and without breaking social distancing? If yes to all, go for it, your bike will be ready to go when the situation arises.

If the bike has to stand on the ground for a long time, tyres may develop flat spots (unless you rotate the wheels). If the bike is parked outside, it'll have to endure elements. I'd rather have the old rubber take the punishment.

If you can fit them onto wheels and then keep the bike safely held up, in nice controlled conditions, then it doesn't matter much if it's on or off and you'll save time later on.

#4 ·
If you do fit the tyres keep it on carpet to protect the rubber . When my wife decides we need new carpet in the house the old carpet goes down in my shed . Yes I know you have to have a shed to do that . Currently have my bikes parked on double layers of carpet . Many museums/collections use squares of carpet under the wheels .

#6 ·
Well, that went reasonably well. Quite a bit of swearing - but new tyres are on, right way round, red dot next the valve and everything.
Next comes balancing. I was planning to build a plywood jig and use the axle spindles. However, the front wheel bearings are too stiff to let the wheel rotate under it's own weight. Stiff, but pretty smooth apart from 1 slight bit of notchiness (is that a word?), even if I put new bearings in will they be free enough for balancing, or do I need to invest in a proper balancing stand?

#7 ·
If you look at how proper stands are constructed, ex this one:

you'll see the stand's axle rests on two pairs of bearings on each side. The wheel's bearing could be seized and it'd still work. You'd need to replicate that setup in your plywood jig to get good results - the wheel's bearing will probably never be as smooth as that.

For the price of these stands, I'd say buy one, you'll use it often enough for it to be a sound investment, unless you simply want to have a quarantine project ;)

#11 ·
I never used to either until the day I went down the same road twice with different vehicles , first bike felt like a poor rippled road surface , next time smooth . A little experimentation various speeds , lines etc and the penny dropped . Good quality tyres fitted properly very often need no balancing , at least that's what I've found over the years ( 54 and counting ) .

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.