KTM Duke 390 Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello friends, for stalling/stopping reason, I need to change ignition coil of my 2016 Duke390. Since we can't reach Duke parts easily in our country, I am thinking to buy Bajaj Dominar400 or Pulsar Ns200 right ignition coils instead. They are exactly same shape with same socket form. I wonder if I can use them for Duke390. Any advice?

·
Super Moderator
1,811 Posts
That should be okay.
Many spare parts coming from KTM India are cross-fit to Bajaj models and an ignition coils isn't something special.

Hello friends, for stalling/stopping reason, I need to change ignition coil of my 2016 Duke390. Since we can't reach Duke parts easily in our country, I am thinking to buy Bajaj Dominar400 or Pulsar Ns200 right ignition coils instead. They are exactly same shape with same socket form. I wonder if I can use them for Duke390. Any advice?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I used Bajaj Pulsar ns200's right ignition coil, it's working fine. ns200, rs200, Dominar 400 almost every part interchangeable with KTM Duke. I also used ns200's pulser (pick up coil) and it's working fine too.

·
Registered
505 Posts
Are you sure that the problem is the ignition coil? How do you know it's not the spark wire or an Intermited wire coming to the ignition coil? You should inspect well before start buying parts..

Sent from my A80Pro using Tapatalk

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

·
Super Moderator
1,811 Posts
Step 1) The battery of the motorcycle should be fully charged because if the battery is not fully charged then the accuracy of the ignition coil will be very hard to determine. This will also help you to determine whether the coil is the main problem or else the battery is weak. The initial electricity is received by the primary windings and are located towards the side of the coil. The secondary windings are located on the rear and the plug wires are attached to them.
Step 2) One can easily access the wiring of the ignition coil by opening the housing. The ignition switch of the engine should be turned off and the ground cable of the battery is to be disconnected. In order to access the spark plugs and coil, remove the bike seat as well as the fuel tank. There are some bikes where the ignition coil is located under the flywheel and those are mostly mopeds.
Step 3) The plug cap is to be removed for the test, if it is not removed then it can make your test inaccurate. Sometimes the cap itself can add extra resistance to the results. The result of the resistance should be very low. It should be 0.5 to 1.5 ohms. The resistance can be measured from the ground terminal wire or the primary wire. The primary wire is the one that is going towards the CDI points or CDI box. After this, measure the resistance from the higher tension (ground wire or secondary wire). The result for this should be higher around 7000 to 14000 ohms.
Step 4) If the final result of these wires is not between the indicated numbers then it shows that the ignition coil is bad. One can further analyze the results by using machines that can test the coils under pressure. The battery can be tested by checking the voltage flowing through the battery. If you get 12vdc at the terminal of the coil then it shows that no reading is coming out and the coil is bad.

Are you sure that the problem is the ignition coil? How do you know it's not the spark wire or an Intermited wire coming to the ignition coil? You should inspect well before start buying parts..

Sent from my A80Pro using Tapatalk

1 - 7 of 7 Posts