KTM Duke 390 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Reading about the pricing of the KTM Duke 390 I was surprised to see the price difference between the European market and the Indian market. In India the Duke 390 will cost $3,000, but in Europe it will cost $7,280! That is a more than 100% increase!

I get that import tariffs, freighting costs and such can raise the price when exporting to other markets, but twice as much! What could possibly account for this?

Any ideas?

·
Registered
532 Posts
exactly my thoughts dukeitout. You cannot do a direct conversion of ruppees into dollars and pounds into dollars and then compare the two...

The Duke 125, 200 and 390 are manufactured in India however.

·
Registered
817 Posts
Reading about the pricing of the KTM Duke 390 I was surprised to see the price difference between the European market and the Indian market. In India the Duke 390 will cost $3,000, but in Europe it will cost $7,280! That is a more than 100% increase!

I get that import tariffs, freighting costs and such can raise the price when exporting to other markets, but twice as much! What could possibly account for this?

Any ideas?
Just a guess but I think a lot of it relates to living standards, even with the Duke being priced low in India there's a scores of people that will never be able to afford it on their yearly wage. And as mentioned its built their but unsure how it works when the EU ones are mostly built at the Mattighofen factory.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I don't see why I can't convert rupees and pounds to dollars in order to draw a comparison. Why does that not work?

If there aren't tax or tariff reasons (which there likely are some) then it is just because they can get people to pay more in Europe than India.

·
Registered
532 Posts
because vehicles are priced according to their respective markets.

here is an example...

Mercedes CLA is priced at 24,775 Sterling Pounds, if you do a direct conversion into US Dollars you get 39,910. A full 10K more than the CLA's actual US price....

·
Registered
532 Posts
Just a guess but I think a lot of it relates to living standards, even with the Duke being priced low in India there's a scores of people that will never be able to afford it on their yearly wage. And as mentioned its built their but unsure how it works when the EU ones are mostly built at the Mattighofen factory.
Are you sure about Mattighofen factory? As far as I knew the Duke 125, 200 and 390 projects were all under the control of Bajaj which is Indian...

The KTM 390 Duke is a 373.2 cc (22.77 cu in) displacement single-cylinder engine standard motorcycle made in India by Bajaj Auto, in collaboration with Austrian manufacturer KTM. It debuted at the 2012 EICMA show in Milan, Italy,[5] and went on sale in in India in June, 2013.[4] After its initial release, KTM CEO Stefan Pierer announced plans to export the 390 Duke to the US for 2014, which would make it the first Indian-made KTM motorcycle sold in the US market.[6][7] Bajaj said eventually the bike will be sold in 80 countries worldwide

·
Registered
817 Posts
Are you sure about Mattighofen factory? As far as I knew the Duke 125, 200 and 390 projects were all under the control of Bajaj which is Indian...
Yeah, its always been planned that way. The idea is to keep the import prices etc down so they make minimal units over there to satisfy that area. I had a pic somewhere that had them on the line, would be interesting to see if they are installing KTM parts instead of Bajaj Pulsar parts for hand controls etc.
I think I get the call today to collect the bike.....:eek: finally.

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
from what it seems, it seems like the OP might be try to point at Europeans paying a premium for it. I know for sure you can't just convert these prices and get the official figure, it doesn't work like that.

·
Registered
532 Posts
Yeah, its always been planned that way. The idea is to keep the import prices etc down so they make minimal units over there to satisfy that area. I had a pic somewhere that had them on the line, would be interesting to see if they are installing KTM parts instead of Bajaj Pulsar parts for hand controls etc.
I think I get the call today to collect the bike.....:eek: finally.
all the indian sources I see are claiming full indian manufacturing...

In 2007, BAL had acquired 14.5 per cent stake in KTM and gradually increased it to 48 per cent. The two companies had joined hands to develop products and use the Indian firm's plant for manufacturing.
Under the KTM range, the partners sell Duke 200 and Duke 390 in India, while Duke 125 produced in India is exported to Europe
KTM to roll out Husqvarna bikes from Bajaj's plant in 2 yrs - Financial Express

It could be the 690 and Super Dukes produced in Europe...

BTW congrats on the pickup, keep us posted... PICSSSS

·
Registered
573 Posts
Sorry off topic..
A CLA 200 cost us USD90K and the 250 about USD100K here in Malaysia and I bought mu Duke 390 on tje road with Insurance at about USD8,700 or £5,390 or €6,440 .

Amd it was a CKD model. Locally assemble in Malaysia, parts from Bajaj factory in India.

Down here... nothing is cheap...

because vehicles are priced according to their respective markets.

here is an example...

Mercedes CLA is priced at 24,775 Sterling Pounds, if you do a direct conversion into US Dollars you get 39,910. A full 10K more than the CLA's actual US price....

·
Registered
573 Posts
And fyi. Average Malaysian makes less then usd600 a month. So most of the dukes... be it 200 or 390 is financed by local or foreign banks with a cut troat interest of 7.92% to 12% . ;-p

·
Registered
532 Posts
Sorry off topic..
A CLA 200 cost us USD90K and the 250 about USD100K here in Malaysia and I bought mu Duke 390 on tje road with Insurance at about USD8,700 or £5,390 or €6,440 .

Amd it was a CKD model. Locally assemble in Malaysia, parts from Bajaj factory in India.

Down here... nothing is cheap...
whats the price like on a CBR250/300 or Ninja 250/300? wondering if Malaysia has a similar price gap between them...

kind of wondering if we can figure out a percentage price difference between say CBR and Duke for Malaysia, for India, for Australia and for Europe we can come up with an educated guess at what the Duke 390 will be priced like in NA...

·
Registered
817 Posts
whats the price like on a CBR250/300 or Ninja 250/300? wondering if Malaysia has a similar price gap between them...

kind of wondering if we can figure out a percentage price difference between say CBR and Duke for Malaysia, for India, for Australia and for Europe we can come up with an educated guess at what the Duke 390 will be priced like in NA...
Mine was $7700au ride away and thats in North Queensland, in the southern and western states theres $100 to $200 difference from that.

Ive done some rough calcs already on this and I reckon the U.S will see it from around $6500 to $7200 but that depends if you guys receive the introductory price its currently set at.

·
Registered
573 Posts
Fyi.
CBR 250 USD 7,136 otr
CBR 500 USD 9,927 otr
Ninja 250 USD 7,600
Ninja 250SE USD 8,220

There is no 300 series for both model here

·
Registered
200 Posts
Fyi.
CBR 250 USD 7,136 otr
CBR 500 USD 9,927 otr
Ninja 250 USD 7,600
Ninja 250SE USD 8,220

There is no 300 series for both model here
Interesting why don't they have 300cc bikes there, is there no demand to keep with similar bikes from North America. Like the Ninja 300 and Honda has the CBR300 in the works.

·
Registered
519 Posts
Alot of things are more expensive in other parts of the world when compared to the US

I think in China certain bikes or cars are more than double the US price.

·
Registered
573 Posts
oh its due to the driving/motorcycle license here in Malaysia

B - Motorcycles (all displacement)
B1 - Motorcycles not exceeding 500 cc
B2 - Motorcycles not exceeding 250 cc

Usually a typical Malaysia will apply for B2 license, after 2 years of probation under (L) leaners driving license. The fee is about UD150

The upgrade usually direct to B license, nobody wants to take B1 license because the fee and the course
is identical to B license.
B license is called B Full license here. The average fee is USD250

So it's uncommon that most of the motorcycle industry would want to target their majority customer under B2 license holder
as their potential customer do not need to re-seat the test and paying extra examination fee and the 10 hours practical course.:p

Interesting why don't they have 300cc bikes there, is there no demand to keep with similar bikes from North America. Like the Ninja 300 and Honda has the CBR300 in the works.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I am just surprised by the huge price jump. Usually there is a difference between markets, but i always thought that was to make up for taxes and shipping costs and a slight bit of tailoring to the norms of the market. Doubling the price seem like more than that. I am just trying to understand why :S

·
Registered
200 Posts
oh its due to the driving/motorcycle license here in Malaysia

B - Motorcycles (all displacement)
B1 - Motorcycles not exceeding 500 cc
B2 - Motorcycles not exceeding 250 cc

Usually a typical Malaysia will apply for B2 license, after 2 years of probation under (L) leaners driving license. The fee is about UD150

The upgrade usually direct to B license, nobody wants to take B1 license because the fee and the course
is identical to B license.
B license is called B Full license here. The average fee is USD250

So it's uncommon that most of the motorcycle industry would want to target their majority customer under B2 license holder
as their potential customer do not need to re-seat the test and paying extra examination fee and the 10 hours practical course.:p
Yeah I guess it make sense once someone acquires the b1 license they would want more than an increase of 50ccss.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts