KTM Duke 390 Forum banner

Why does the KTM DUke 390 cost twice as much in Europe than it does in India?

25K views 25 replies 9 participants last post by  HazardousDuke 
#1 ·
Reading about the pricing of the KTM Duke 390 I was surprised to see the price difference between the European market and the Indian market. In India the Duke 390 will cost $3,000, but in Europe it will cost $7,280! That is a more than 100% increase!

I get that import tariffs, freighting costs and such can raise the price when exporting to other markets, but twice as much! What could possibly account for this?

Any ideas?

#4 ·
Just a guess but I think a lot of it relates to living standards, even with the Duke being priced low in India there's a scores of people that will never be able to afford it on their yearly wage. And as mentioned its built their but unsure how it works when the EU ones are mostly built at the Mattighofen factory.

#7 ·
Are you sure about Mattighofen factory? As far as I knew the Duke 125, 200 and 390 projects were all under the control of Bajaj which is Indian...

The KTM 390 Duke is a 373.2 cc (22.77 cu in) displacement single-cylinder engine standard motorcycle made in India by Bajaj Auto, in collaboration with Austrian manufacturer KTM. It debuted at the 2012 EICMA show in Milan, Italy,[5] and went on sale in in India in June, 2013.[4] After its initial release, KTM CEO Stefan Pierer announced plans to export the 390 Duke to the US for 2014, which would make it the first Indian-made KTM motorcycle sold in the US market.[6][7] Bajaj said eventually the bike will be sold in 80 countries worldwide

#5 ·
I don't see why I can't convert rupees and pounds to dollars in order to draw a comparison. Why does that not work?

If there aren't tax or tariff reasons (which there likely are some) then it is just because they can get people to pay more in Europe than India.

#11 ·
Sorry off topic..
A CLA 200 cost us USD90K and the 250 about USD100K here in Malaysia and I bought mu Duke 390 on tje road with Insurance at about USD8,700 or £5,390 or €6,440 .

Amd it was a CKD model. Locally assemble in Malaysia, parts from Bajaj factory in India.

Down here... nothing is cheap...

#19 ·
I am just surprised by the huge price jump. Usually there is a difference between markets, but i always thought that was to make up for taxes and shipping costs and a slight bit of tailoring to the norms of the market. Doubling the price seem like more than that. I am just trying to understand why :S

#21 ·
Quick answer to that: Cos its made in India!!! While some parts are made in India too like the fan motor etc..etc.....so ofcourse it will be cheaper if sold to the Indian market. :rolleyes:

Your right..import tariffs, freight costs etc...will take place when these bikes are exported to other countries...it does make sense bud ;)

#22 ·
I think it makes sense for the price to be lower in the country it is manufactured in. Especially India, where they have such cheap labor. They probably charge to export things from the country or something. Or maybe not and they just jack up the price abroad cause people will pay for it. There are other things like that. Look at books in Canada compared to America.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.