KTM Duke 390 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I live in the city of Pittsburgh, without a garage. I do have an off street driveway to park it in.
I have done extensive reading on what I should do if I store the bike outside (oil change, wheel stands, full tank of gas, and just ordered a brand new all weather cover). My first question is, I just changed my oil just under a thousand miles ago. Should I change it again for the coming winter?

I am also pursuing a possible storage location at a local dealership; if I am able to secure indoor storage, does the oil change still come in to play, especially considering it's been under a thousand miles since I changed it last?

·
Registered
109 Posts
Storing indoor or out isn't so much the issue. Diehard gearheads change oil before winter storage to minimize acidity that occurs with normal wear-n-tear oxidation. Normally I've been changing duke oil anywhere between 1000 and 2000 miles. The last change was probably about 500 miles ago. Am I changing again before winter storage (Syracuse NY)? No probably not.

·
Registered
384 Posts
With long term storage you should try to maintain a steady temperature. The manual tells you this.
temperature swings cause moisture to form and sit on the aluminum surfaces (inside the engine, and out) which will cause oxidation.
2 liters of oil is cheap, I change my oil before storage to remove the Used oil with combustion acids.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I keep mine outdoors on a driveway too, with a decent cover. Although it's warmer here in the Carolinas.

How long are you storing?
I've heard the best way to do it is to go around the block every week or so, or at least idle the engine a while.

I wouldn't worry about the oil viscosity. If you're gonna ride when it's super cold out, just let her idle to warm up before you rev. Some folks like to change oil at end of storage to avoid water from condensation in the engine. And if it's climate controlled indoor storage don't worry about oil at all.

Some folks swear by fuel stabilizers. I've little experience with these. But I would drain the old fuel after it's been sitting for a couple months to avoid condensed water or old gas, and just add fresh gas.

Consider getting a battery tender. It'll help keep your electronics trickling nicely.

·
Registered
47 Posts
HA! yours is going into storage and mine comes out for winter. the other bikes are laid up in what some would refer to a derelict building to us its the garage well an excuse it ahs doors and some sort of roof thin. .Anyways it is definitely not temperature controlled, the whole year has kinda been a long term storage thing I think we done 300 miles on the Ducatis.
Storage method: Tyres at recommended PSI, on Bike Mat, Bikes covered, sock in teh exhaust and they are plugged into a trickle charger.
My KTM has been stored since March got used for 3 weeks in June then stored again, it will be fired in anger for the first time come next week.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Not sure how long. Last year, winter in Pittsburgh amounted to no more than ten inches of snow in the city. There were long periods of cold, actual precipitation was very low. There's a good possibility that we could have good riding weather by mid to late March, and then I've seen snow fall right up to the last week of April. I won't attempt to ride if I think there is any salt on the roads.

I keep mine outdoors on a driveway too, with a decent cover. Although it's warmer here in the Carolinas.

How long are you storing?
I've heard the best way to do it is to go around the block every week or so, or at least idle the engine a while.

I wouldn't worry about the oil viscosity. If you're gonna ride when it's super cold out, just let her idle to warm up before you rev. Some folks like to change oil at end of storage to avoid water from condensation in the engine. And if it's climate controlled indoor storage don't worry about oil at all.

Some folks swear by fuel stabilizers. I've little experience with these. But I would drain the old fuel after it's been sitting for a couple months to avoid condensed water or old gas, and just add fresh gas.

Consider getting a battery tender. It'll help keep your electronics trickling nicely.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts