KTM Duke 390 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I'm having trouble getting my 2013 690 Duke to start.
Symptoms are:
Trailered it home from a trip.
On the first start, electric cut out and displayed "SOFT 4.1" followed by "Dat 1.3"
A rust colored liquid then dripped from the seam where the silencer pipe meets the cat.

While trouble shooting, I couldn't replicate the fault.
I've checked the plugs, airbox, harness, and fuses.
Thinking the battery might have drained, I got a tender and topped it up.
I've now replicated the fault and am at a loss.

Worst case, the bike is still under warranty, but I'd love to figure this out.

Any advice?

Thanks.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I just found this.. It's not really an advice.. But i think this might useful :)

KTM has silently recalled the Duke 390 in India, without making any communication regarding the same. Team-BHP member SriramV.Iyer is among the first owners of the Duke 390 in Bangalore, whose bike was called in for fan assembly and rotor part replacement. The former has to do with the cooling fan while the latter is related to the disc brake of the bike. This product replacement exercise takes a couple of hours and is done free of charge. We have heard about multiple Duke 390 owners getting parts replaced by the dealer for issues of over-heating and bike not starting.
Large capacity motorcycles are known to heat, so the Duke 390′s over heating issue isn’t surprising. KTM-Bajaj also export the Duke 390 to other markets where over heating reports haven’t been reported yet. Europe being a colder continent with lesser traffic congestion might not highlight the Duke 390′s overheating nature. Since KTM has exported quite a lot of units of the Duke 390, a global recall will be a strenuous task for the Austrian firm. The bikes being manufactured are sure to feature the improved parts, which could have caused a delay in the delivery schedule.

Read more at KTM Duke 390 Silently Recalled, Delivery Fiasco Continues | MotorBeam – Indian Car Bike News & Reviews

·
Registered
24 Posts
Hi,

I'm having trouble getting my 2013 690 Duke to start.
Symptoms are:
Trailered it home from a trip.
On the first start, electric cut out and displayed "SOFT 4.1" followed by "Dat 1.3"
A rust colored liquid then dripped from the seam where the silencer pipe meets the cat.

While trouble shooting, I couldn't replicate the fault.
I've checked the plugs, airbox, harness, and fuses.
Thinking the battery might have drained, I got a tender and topped it up.
I've now replicated the fault and am at a loss.

Worst case, the bike is still under warranty, but I'd love to figure this out.

Any advice?

Thanks.

Did you get an answer from your dealer @SummerDean on this, I'd hope they resolve it for you quickly given how new the bike is?

Joe

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
Resolving an issue like this on a new bike....it might not happen as quick as we will wish it does but who knows maybe KTM will have a good turn around time on that. Keep us posted @SummerDean

·
Registered
83 Posts
No hard starting issues with mine....Bike runs great with no overheating problems...runs hot at times when pushed hard and ridden in traffic, but does not overheat.

Miguel
Philippines

·
Registered
573 Posts
Mine is difficult to start when i want to re-start (warm/hot) , its easy to start when it's cold. Anyway i was adviced to if to start when the engine is warm/hot, just need to throttle it abit ... it works and now i'm OK with it.

My engine is HOT .. but still within 8 to 11 bar. 13bar is Max FYI ...
when cruising .. the temperate is at 6 t0 9 bar...

·
Registered
817 Posts
I reckon the heat issue is impacted more than normal due to the header being run down the side of the engine. If you have a look at almost every other road bike very few have designed it this way. To compact the problem they have put the temp sensor right above the pipe so the heat that radiates from there transmits into the sensor. I figure the best thing to do is not look at your temp gauge cause it lies, the engine does run hot but its not a problem as my EXC can get just as hot.

·
Registered
573 Posts
im getting used to it already ... (i wore pant most of my ride with knee guard ...it's really turning my knee red alright) anyway ... so long the Torque is there ... i'm a happy puppy ... heat = power ... ok so OK with it ... and thats natural from Dukes ...

·
Registered
83 Posts
I reckon the heat issue is impacted more than normal due to the header being run down the side of the engine. If you have a look at almost every other road bike very few have designed it this way. To compact the problem they have put the temp sensor right above the pipe so the heat that radiates from there transmits into the sensor. I figure the best thing to do is not look at your temp gauge cause it lies, the engine does run hot but its not a problem as my EXC can get just as hot.

True...does make sense Dan....

Heat never really bothered me as the bike runs hot but doesn't overheat...so its not an issue at all for me.

·
Registered
45 Posts
She gave me a false neutral at the lights today in peak hour traffic and stalled. I rolled her onto the footpath, turned her off and waited 60 seconds before hitting the go button and after 10-15 minutes, she started. Not cool at all, I need to get this fixed. Any ideas as to the problem? Its almost like the spark plugs don't fire. I'm sure I could smell fuel. Will call the dealer in the morning.

·
Registered
200 Posts
She gave me a false neutral at the lights today in peak hour traffic and stalled. I rolled her onto the footpath, turned her off and waited 60 seconds before hitting the go button and after 10-15 minutes, she started. Not cool at all, I need to get this fixed. Any ideas as to the problem? Its almost like the spark plugs don't fire. I'm sure I could smell fuel. Will call the dealer in the morning.
@eikon

could it have to do with the kill switch? Since your smellin fuel that means it priming but no spark could be a faulty switch.

·
Registered
817 Posts
Give it the smallest crack of throttle mate, roll it on until you feel the play take up then add just enough so you feel the throttle body move the tiniest bit. If its not enough then just a touch more while your cranking. Its the inlet valve setting from what ive read, mine does it when hot and its the throttle bit that works for me everytime.
Im going to get it looked at but I want to see what others have found before I start.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Thanks, guys, it seems to be a real c&nt after a stall, normal cold and hot starts have improved considerably. A crack of the throttle helps but after a stall she just plays dead. Quite dangerous if you stall in the wrong place..

·
Registered
817 Posts
Try giving a roll through in gear, into sixth small push and pop the clutch....no ignition on btw. Might be that the stall is causing pressure, probably wrong but worth a try.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Hi All,

Just ticking over 900kms on my 390, here in Australia.....Hot start issue starting to creep in, giving it gas works but quite a knack to it though.... Have to have start button cranking, 1,2, throttle on....anything else feels like its choking and no start...

I am having a few more false neutrals, not sure if its linkages or me....Any advice on his would be much appreciate..

·
Registered
817 Posts
Has it had its first service? If not the false nuetral will go away once done. If it has been done and its not you then Im not sure, the bike needs a firm gear shift not a tiny flick like other bikes.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Thanks for that DAN.....yes definitely a firm shift bike, and the cluck is quite loud two.... This seems normal...I hope

1 - 20 of 20 Posts