KTM Duke 390 Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So we've discussed the heat soak issues in multiple places on this forum. Today I was talking with a friend who's got one of those R1's with the undertail and he was telling me how much heat actually gets trapped inside that fairing, which then dinged a little light bulb in my head.

If the Duke 390 has heat soak issues you just know the addition of a fairing is going to exacerbate that...

GULP:eek:

·
Registered
51 Posts
One possible advantage of a full fairing is the ability to duct air into the radiator and away from the rider's legs. So if nothing else, the rider shouldn't notice the heat so much. I believe the 300 Ninja does something like this.

bm

·
Registered
208 Posts
I don't expect the fairing to cause over heating or anything, so it should be a good thing to have the fairing there.

Is the problem mostly one of comfort or have people found it too hot to ride the Duke, or have things been overheating?

·
Registered
51 Posts
Certainly, the 390 runs pretty hot, and it seems quite sensitive to environmental temperature too, which suggests its cooling isn't as efficient as it might be.

However, I suspect a great many of the complaints of overheating are just people reacting to the way the fan blows hot air all over the riders legs. It make them far more aware of the heat than they would otherwise be.

bm

·
Premium Member
169 Posts
The RC might actually handle the heat better to the better flow of air and the fairing would shield the legs as well.

I don't expect the fairing to cause over heating or anything, so it should be a good thing to have the fairing there.

Is the problem mostly one of comfort or have people found it too hot to ride the Duke, or have things been overheating?
The climatic condition has a role with this aspect as well. In the tropicals, the issue is more pronounced. In my case, about 30min of fender to fender traffic ride causes the bike to heat up so much that even with fairly thick denim trousers, I have this urge to stop by and allow it to cool down(have done this couple of times). Even the pillion can feel the heat waves. So, I believe its part comfort and part inefficient cooling(would not want to say over heating, temperature display with 3 bars not lit up).

·
Registered
533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
good points all. I was just thinking about how the downpipe from the exhaust runs almost parallel with the rad. My thinking being that with the two in such close proximity in a confined space is going to make the heat soak even worse...

But like others said its possible that having cool air force fed into the space will help funnel the heat out...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts